A Miami defense lawyer had to run out of a courtroom this week when his pants suddenly burst into flames.
Stephen Gutierrez was defending his client, who happens to be on trial for arson, when smoke began billowing out of his pants pocket. He ran out of the courtroom and left jurors and spectators wondering what had just happened. It turns out that a faulty battery in his e-cigarette caught fire. He eventually returned wearing burnt pants.
Gutierrez’s client was accused of intentionally setting fire to his car. The jury eventually convicted him of arson.