FYI…COVID-19 is officially in Allen County
Allen County Public Health:
With the announcement by Mercy Health St. Rita’s that they are treating a patient diagnosed with COVID-19, Allen County Public Health wants to remind people that while this is not an Allen County resident, it is evidence of the fact that cases of COVID-19 will be on the rise in the coming days and weeks throughout Ohio and the country.
For any type of communicable disease, the reporting and follow-up investigations are conducted by the county health department where the person lives, no matter where the individual may receive treatment or medical care. Allen County Public Health and the hospitals in our county have been preparing for caring for patients with COVID-19 since mid-January.
ACPH continues to urge individuals to consult with their providers if they develop symptoms such as fever or respiratory symptoms. Individuals may also call the joint COVID-19 screening line at 419-226-9000. Providers are urged to report any suspected cases of COVID-19 to the Health Department immediately.
The community should continue to practice general health hygiene that prevent the spread of viruses in general:
- Wash your hands with soap and water often for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- If you have underlying health conditions or are an older adult, avoid large gatherings.
- Trust only reliable sources of information, such the CDC, the Ohio Department of Health and Allen County Public Health